At Crypton, we believe that our lives are interconnected with our community and environment, and that the world we live in is of our own making. Our green initiative is a journey, with the ongoing goals of making our environmental footprint smaller and smaller and offering more and more responsible choices for the consumer.
• We design and manufacture environmentally responsible, hardworking, and beautiful products that give our customers and endusers an environmentally responsible choice.
• We recognize that we’re part of both a local and a global community.
• We value our associates, our vendors, and our customers and are dedicated to the ongoing optimization of the sustainable attributes of our products and processes.
• We believe in the transparency of information and are committed to sharing our test methodologies and data.
• We believe in making informed choices that will improve our environmental footprint. We are dedicated to a program of constant improvement.
• We seek a leadership role in the industries we serve.
10 Things You Should Know About Crypton Green
Crypton Green is a third-party-certified, highperformance upholstery fabric with a reduced environmental impact and all the performance characteristics of Crypton Super Fabrics.
• Passes third-party emissions testing
• Documented and audited quality system
1. SCS Indoor Advantage™ Gold-Certified by Scientific Certification Systems
2. Optimized raw materials using third-party assessment: Silver Cradle to Cradle™-Certified by MBDC
• Materials assessed for effects on human and environmental health
• Reformulated chemistry using environmentally preferable materials
• Adopted strategy for renewable energy credits and water stewardship
3. Contributes to points for LEED-CI and the Green Guide for Health Care. Opportunities include:
• Credit MR 3.3, Resource Reuse (1 point)
• Credits MR 4.1 and 4.2, Recycled Content (1 or 2 points)
• Credit MR 5.2, Regional Materials (1 point)
• Credit MR 6, Rapidly Renewable Materials (1 point)
• Credit EQ 4.5, Low-Emitting Materials – Systems Furniture and Seating (1 point)
• Credit ID 1.1-1.4, Innovation in Design (1 to 4 points)
4. Maintains all of Crypton’s performance features, extending the useful life of furniture
5. Reduced or eliminated formaldehyde, PFOAs, and halogenated FRs, including PBDEs
6. Complies with the Collaborative for High-Performance Schools’ Section 01350 – Special Environmental Requirements
7. All Crypton Fabric scrap is recycled into shoddy, a carpet underlayment
8. Surpasses Greenguard’s Indoor Air Quality, and Complies with BIFMA X7 emissions requirements (Standard for Formaldehyde and TVOC Emissions of Low-Emitting Office Furniture Systems and Seating)
9. Includes sustainable, recyclable fibers. Options include:
• 50-100% recycled fiber, including wide-spec chip
• Heavy-metal-free polyester
• Wool with heavy-metal-free dyes
10. While Crypton Green is a significant advancement, our journey will never end. Crypton is committed to a leadership role in the use of green materials, processes, and practices
To learn more about the Crypton company and and it's fabrics, please download our Crypton Super Fabrics Guide to green. This informative booklet will detail Crypton's commitment to quality the environment with the above content as well as:
• Our Green Spectrum guide for sustainable fabrics and fiber choices
• Sustainability Metrics for Commerical Fabrics
• How Crypton products measure up
• Our Indoor Air Quality 101
• Our fabrics specifications and performance tests
• A Green Glossary for reference
Crypton Green - Frequently Asked Questions
What do you have to do to make the claim “Crypton Green”? Crypton Green fabrics are constructed with optimized fibers and chemistry. View the full requirements in our FAQ download.
What makes Crypton’s chemistry green? Our green formulation is now being applied to all Crypton Fabrics, not just Crypton Green. The new chemistry is green
because we have reduced or eliminated formaldehyde, PFOAs, and halogenated flame retardants, including PBDEs. All Crypton Super Fabrics have ultra-low or non-detectable emissions. Crypton resists bacteria, mildew, and odor to extend the life of the fabric without the use of conventional leaching anti-microbials. The Crypton formulation, inventoried down to 100 parts per million, has been assessed and is Cradle to Cradle™ Silvercertified by MBDC.
Are all Crypton Fabrics green? We are constantly trying to make all of our fabrics increasingly sustainable. There is no black and white in green, and we
recognize there is a Green Spectrum in which some products are more sustainable than others (eg: 100% vs. 50% recycled). With our initiative to use green chemistry on all Crypton Fabrics, we are moving in the right direction. It is more costly to us, but it is the right thing to do. Read the factors involved in our process in the FAQ download.
What does it mean that Crypton’s manufacturing facility is green? Greening a facility is a long-term endeavor. Refer to our FAQ download for more information on this process.
Can Crypton be recycled? Yes. A common outlet for recycled fabrics is shoddy – used in making carpet padding and rear parcel shelves in cars.
What is MBDC? McDonough Braungart Design Chemistry – a partnership between William McDonough, an architect and Michael Braungart, a chemist (www.mbdc.com). MBDC’s Cradle to Cradle™ optimization involves the (re)design of products and the selection of materials for healthy, progressively cradle to cradle lifecycles.
What is SCS? Scientific Certification Systems – (www.scscertified.com). SCS is an independent, third-party auditor that specializes in product certifications for environmental and sustainability claims. The SCS Indoor Advantage™ Gold certification is for building materials, furniture systems, and seating that meet the indoor air emissions criteria of CHPS 01350, the California Indoor Air Quality Specification for Open Panel Office Furniture, and LEED EQ 4.1, 4.2, 4.4, and 4.5.
Does Crypton Green meet Greenguard’s emissions requirements? Yes. Independent third-party emissions testing indicates Crypton Green meets Greenguard’s emissions requirements. As an alternative to Greenguard certification, Crypton Green is certified SCS Indoor Advantage™ Gold, which in some cases is more stringent than Greenguard’s Indoor Air Quality Standard (also see Indoor Air Quality 101, pages 20-25, in the Crypton Super Fabrics Guide to Green).
Can Crypton Green contribute to LEED-CI points or the Green Guide for Health Care? While the selection of Crypton Green alone will not garner points, read in our FAQ download for how it may contribute to points in LEED-CI credits (Version 2.0) and corresponding credits in the Green Guide for Health Care.